The residents of Hong Kong’s Yau Tsim Mong district were locked down on Saturday to prevent the spread of the coronavirus in the city. The government announced restrictions at 4 a.m., and they were expected to end within two days.
An Overwhelming Number
More than 4,300 cases have been recorded within a period of two months. This number is an indication that Hong Kong has been struggling to contain the fresh wave of the coronavirus pandemic since November 2020.
Notably, the coronavirus cases in the Yau Tsim Mong district alone represent roughly 50% of the total infections recorded in the past week.
Lockdown and Testing
In an effort to prevent cross-infection the government directed the residents of Yau Tsim Mong district to remain in their homes until they received their test results. So far, more than 7,000 residents of this district have been tested, and 13 infections have been uncovered during the lockdown.
Experts noted that a second phase of screening may be required in the area should the number of infections be in the double digits. This is because other residents could develop coronavirus symptoms during the incubation period.
A Potential Outbreak Nearby
Professor David Hui, a respiratory medicine expert asked the government to pay attention to the Yau Ma Tei Fruit Market area and the other neighboring residential buildings.
“At least eight buildings on streets near the fruit market had residents who were infected. There might be a need to expand the area to those streets,” he said in a television interview.
Many observers took these statements as a suggestion that the market and its adjacent buildings could be the next to be locked down.
He also said that in the future, the government may consider hastening the imposition of lockdowns to keep people from escaping from the area ahead of time.